As an entrepreneur, it is important that you have a basic knowledge of how digital marketing works. But, for those who wanted to specifically learn about how search engine optimization works, the best way to gain in-depth insight is to do it on your own. It’s not really that difficult. Here’s a preview of what you will learn after reading this article:
- How to Improve your Title Tag
- How to Search Long-Tail Keywords Using Google
- How to Look for Keyword Ideas Elsewhere
- How to Lower Your Bounce Rate
- How to Increase Clicks and Traffic
- How to Build Links Using Link Roundups
- How to Build Links Using Resource Pages
- The Importance of Writing Long Content
- How to Pick Keywords that Have More Chances of Ranking Higher
- The Importance of Visuals
- How to Rank Your Video on YouTube
But, before we’ll delve in on how to do SEO on your own, let’s first check the reasons why it is important to know its basic foundations.
3 Main Reasons Why You Should Learn SEO
- To truly put you in control – How would you know if the overall flow of your digital marketing campaign is on the right track if you don’t have any idea how your search engine optimization works? You will be at a disadvantage if you solely rely this on an agency without getting the basics.
- To avoid getting victimized by fly-by-night SEO agencies – There have been many nightmare stories from entrepreneurs who got doped by SEO companies which promised immediate results but ended getting penalties from search engines because of unethical SEO practices. You should know how to pick the right company and avoid the bad ones.
- To learn more about your business – As an entrepreneur, it is more beneficial for you that you learn the ins and outs of your business more especially if it deals with tracking the intent of your potential customers. Getting your hands on SEO can help you get a better perspective on how your potential customers look for your products or services online.
Search engine optimization is very important for your business because it doesn’t only bring you high-quality customers, but it also helps you manage your brand’s online reputation, allows you to study the minds of your target market, makes you competitive, and helps you gain more trust from the public, your customers, and your prospects. Thus, it is always advantageous to learn how to do it.
11 Effective SEO Techniques You Can Easily Do On Your Own
I bet you might hesitate to do implement these techniques, but if you will just try at least one or two, I’m quite sure you can do it with flying colors. All these are ethical SEO practices and once you’re done checking each technique, you will close this page with a new set of applicable SEO know-how.
- Improve Your Title Tag by Using These Words
What you put on your title tag can greatly affect the attractiveness of your snippet in search results. Most internet users are prone to click those ones with convincing description.
According to Brian Dean, Backlinko founder, there are specific words that keep on appearing on the Title tags of those web pages that appear on top of the search engine result pages (SERPs).
These are the common words that can help you improve your title tag:
- Best, News, Reviews, Top, Guide, Information, Community
- Works Quickly, Step-by-step, Right Now, Simple, Today, Quick, Easy
It has been observed that pages containing these words get more clicks and visits. And, as you may have heard, Google ranks pages with high CTR (click-through-rate) on top of their SERPs.
- Use Google’s “Searches related to” to Find More Effective Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords are quite effective, especially if you are in a very competitive niche. You can find them at the bottom of Google SERPs after entering a specific keyword. Here are the steps on how to get them.
Steps on Getting a Long-Tail Keywords by “Searches related to” via Google Search
- Go to Google Search
- Type in your keyword
- Scroll down at the bottom of the page
- Check the “Searches related to” keywords and pick the best long-tail
These “Searches related to” keywords appeared on the SERPs because one way or another, they have high relevance to your main keyword. Looking at these keywords alone can give you a glimpse of what your prospects have been checking on the web. They can help you in crafting content that can possibly bring solutions to their needs.
- Get Keyword Ideas from Different Sources
Don’t rely alone on Google Suggest when looking for keyword ideas. You can get more ideas if you use the following websites:
- And Wikipedia
It is very important that you get an array of keyword ideas so that you can get an in-depth perspective about your target market.
- Minimize your Bounce Rate
A bounce rate is simply the number of times people immediately click the back button after checking a page on the SERPs. It’s just like when a potential customer enters a restaurant, checks its menu, but then decided to eat elsewhere. If a lot of your potential customers are doing this, then you have a high bounce rate and this can turn out really bad for your business. But, if the number of people doing this is very low, then you will not have to worry about it.
In SEO, it is a common knowledge that the lower your bounce rate, the higher the probability that you’ll get successful conversions. Also, it has already been proven that Google gives preference to webpages with a lower bounce rate when it comes to ranking. Why?
It’s because a low bounce rate is an indication that your readers like your content and that your page is what exactly they are looking for. So, how exactly can you minimize your bounce rate?
You can start by checking your Google Analytics and see which pages of your website have a higher bounce rate. From there, you can develop a strategy to create a compelling content. But, a compelling content is not enough. This content should be what your target audience is looking for. Thus, it all boils down to number 2 and 3 – effective keyword research. If you are using the right combination of keywords and optimize them properly, then this can also help you to minimize your bounce rate.
- Increase Clicks by Using Google AdWords
The sponsored ads you see on top or at the bottom of the search results in Google are from the Google AdWords. They can be of great help if you are looking for ideas on how to increase the number of clicks every time your page snippet is displayed in the SERPs.
They can help you because the keywords used in these ads are highly optimized to attract high- quality leads. Here are the steps on how you can use these ads to improve your CTR (click-through-rate).
- Go to Google.com and search for your keywords
- Check the ads that appear on top and at the bottom of the SERPs page
- Study the ads and the terms they use. Use them appropriately to improve your title and description tags
- Track using Google Analytics if there are any changes in your CTR and Traffic
If you are not familiar with Google Analytics, you can read here to find out why it’s a widely popular web tracking tool.
- Use Link Roundups to Build High-Quality Links
Despite the advancement and the constant change in search algorithms, backlinks are still considered as one of the top signals in ranking webpages. They are just like the connections we make in real life. For example, if you are a politician, the more connections you have, the higher the opportunities you’ll get in your career. If your connections are of high status in the society, then you will have better chances of achieving your goal.
In SEO, these connections are your website’s backlinks. The more your backlinks are the better, but make sure they are of high quality. Because if they come from bad (spammy, malicious) websites, there’s a big chance that you’ll get penalized or worst, get de-indexed from search engines. This means your website won’t appear even at the very bottom of Google or Bing’s search results.
One of the easiest but ethical ways of building backlinks is to join in Link Roundups. These are actually blog posts that aim to list recently published content that are of high relevance to that blog’s niche. So, how you can do this?
The very first thing you need to do is to find Link Roundups in your niche or industry. For example, if you are a voice-over company, you can use the following search strings to find blog posts that do Link Roundups:
- Voice over online + “Link Roundup”
- Voice over online + Roundup
- Voice over online + “Best Of”
- Voice over online + This Week
You can then contact or reach out to the blogger who manages the Link Roundups and express your interest to join. Ask them if they can include your link. You can search Google to look for email template on what to specifically tell them if you find it hard to craft a message on your own.
- Look for Resource Pages to Earn More High-Quality Backlinks
Resource pages are web pages intended to give website visitors more information about a specific topic from other relevant sources. It works the same as Link Roundups, but instead of pooling recently published content, resource pages aim to pool the best content of all time on a specific topic. Here’s what you can do to include your content on someone’s resource page.
- Go to Google.com and use these search strings to look for relevant websites with resource pages:
– “your keyword” + “resource page”
– “your keyword” + “resources”
– “your keyword” + “recommended sites”
– “your keyword” + “links”
- Filter through search results and choose the website where you feel that you can add value in terms of topic and niche relevance
- Contact the website owner. You can google email template if you are not sure how to construct your message.
Lastly, always remember that most contents that are included in a resource page are those ones that tackled a topic comprehensively.
- Write and Publish High-Quality Content That Delves in Deeper into a Specific Topic
This is the most natural thing to do if you want to attract more traffic to your website. Search engines prefer web pages with high-quality content. These are pages filled with relevant, helpful, and more detailed information.
These days, if you are keeping a closer look on how big search engines rank web pages on top of the SERPs, you’ll realize that most of the ones they put on the top are the long-form ones. Why? Because they commonly contain a more in-depth analysis of the topic.
Thus, if you want your content to rank in the SERPs, focus on a topic wherein you can discuss a lot of related sub-topics. That way, you can provide a more detailed answer to your readers.
- Focus on Keywords with Less or Few Features in the SERPs
When a specific keyword appears in the SERPs with complete features such as the knowledge graph, rich snippets, video results, and more ads, then this means that this keyword has a very high competition. It indicates that you have a lower chance to rank this keyword and it’s better to use the one with lower competition.
For example, if you search “social media marketing” on Google, you can see that its results are displayed with complete SERP features. This means that you cannot use this keyword. Now, let’s use “social media marketing Dallas Texas”. If you’ve checked that out, you can see that its results don’t come with SERP features, this means this is a good keyword.
- Use Appropriate and Sufficient Graphics to Boost the Attractiveness of Your Content
A content with no graphics is completely boring. How could you attract potential readers if they cannot easily understand your text because it doesn’t come with a visual explanation?
It’s important to know that most web pages that rank well in Google are image-rich content. Making an effort to create appropriate graphics for your blog post or web page is very important because people in general love visuals. Also, embedding an appropriate infographic or video can help you lower your bounce rate and can ultimately boost engagement.
Lastly, here’s the 11th tip that you can use if you are also interested in optimizing your YouTube video to rank higher in SERPs. Remember that in addition to being the largest video community, YouTube is also a giant search engine.
How to Rank Your Video on YouTube
SEO is not only limited to Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Video communities such as YouTube or social networking websites such as Facebook are also search engines. YouTube has over 1 billion users and you can’t just ignore that. So, how to optimize your YouTube video so that it will rank better inside YouTube and in Google SERPs? Here’s what you can do.
- Pay attention to its Meta-data – Your video Meta-data includes its Title, Description, and Keywords. Make sure to clearly state the main intent of your video on its title. Your description should be on point and it must contain relevant information on what the video is all about. Your keywords must also be carefully picked.
- Produce attractive content – If you want to get more traffic, views, and higher rankings then this is the only way to go. Keep your video length short and make sure it is not boring.
- Create more videos in your channel – YouTube is keeping a tab in the activity of your channel. Make sure you produce videos regularly and your channel page has your complete information.
- Engage with your viewers – Showing your prospect viewers that you value feedback and you are willing to engage with them can help you establish trust. Make sure to reply to their questions and you can ask questions as well. This type of engagement shows that your videos bring value to the community.
These are just the basic techniques you can do on your own. If you want to learn more about how to use YouTube for SEO, you can always get the help of a Digital Marketing professional to guide you thoroughly.
Learning SEO on your own and applying it in an actual setup might scare you at first. But, once you get the grip of the basics, you won’t just find it useful but enjoyable as well. It is not bad to gain new skills every now and then and learning how to do basic SEO is for sure one of the best things that can happen to you more especially if you are serious in using digital marketing to bring more business into your company. Good luck!